Useful Websites and Links
LEARN ABOUT ORGANIC STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada – Organic production site, providing links to statistics, news releases, the regulation and standard.
LEARN ABOUT GMOS
- What is GMO? – Includes a list of high risk crops and common GMO ingredients
- GMO Facts – Answers to frequently asked questions about GMO’s
- Organic Consumers Association – List of recent news on Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Non-GMO Project – lists sources of non-GMO products and provides verified non-GMO choices
- 10 steps to rid your diet of GMO’s – 10 ways to get started with removing GMO’s from your diet
LEARN ABOUT THE NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF ORGANICS
- Organic Trade Association
- Organic Centre
- The Consumer Health Organization – A non-profit organization committed to making people aware of the “holistic” or “alternative” approach to health.
- Organic Foods – Kids Plan to Eating Healthy A great article that discusses the origin of the term and its meaning, how to identify an organic food, types of organic foods, how eating organic is good for you, and snack suggestions for parents.
LEARN ABOUT LOCAL FOOD SYSTEMS
- Culinary Education: An Introduction to Local Food Systems – Local food systems are networks of producers, consumers, and distributors in a particular location. These food systems represent an alternative to buying food from global corporations that have to produce food and ship it all over the world.
- Deconstructing Dinner – Award-winning independent radio show reporting on current issues throughout the world of food but maintains a focus on local BC food systems.
LEARN ABOUT SEEDS
- Seeds of Diversity Canada (SoDC) – Canadian charitable organization dedicated to the conservation, documentation and use of public-domain non-hybrid plants of Canadian significance.
LEARN ABOUT CONSERVATION
- EarthSave Canada – A non-profit, educational organization promoting awareness of the health, environmental and ethical consequences of our food choices.
- Greenpeace Canada – on Genetic Engineering.
LEARN ABOUT LAND CARE
- The Society of Organic Urban Land Care Professionals – SOUL supports ecologically responsible land care practices.
- Organic Landscape Alliance (OLA) is a non-profit trade association committed to organic horticulture, lawn care and landscaping.
LEARN ABOUT PESTICIDES
- Canadians Against Pesticides – An activist organization dedicated to banning all pesticides known or suspected of having deleterious effects on humans (especially children) and wildlife.
LEARN ABOUT ANIMAL WELFARE
- Canadian Coalition for Farm Animals (CCFA) – CCFA, through its member organizations, represents more than 100,000 Canadians concerned about the treatment of animals raised for food.
LEARN ABOUT FOOD SAFETY
Magazines & E-Newsletters
The Ram’s Horn – A Monthly Journal of Food System Analysis.
Organic Guide – An international online publication connecting global consumers with the best the organic industry has to offer.
The Organic Backyard – A guide to applying organic farming practices to your home or community garden.