Organic Alberta represents and supports the entire organic industry. We serve all certified organic and transitioning entities (producers and processors), all businesses within the organic value chains, and businesses that serve the organic sector such as but not limited to distribution, transportation, brokers & buyers, marketers, certifiers, inputs, seed, feed, and retailers.
Organic Alberta is looking for a self-motivated, highly organized, detail-oriented agronomist to manage the Mackenzie County Organic Success Program. The agronomist will develop a needs assessment and deliver programming, as well as provide agronomic knowledge to support the organic grain farmers in the Mackenzie County area. The program runs from January 2018 to January 2020. The agronomist will be on contract and work with staff at Organic Alberta and the staff at Mackenzie Applied Research Association.
The position will be located out of the Mackenzie Applied Research Association office in Fort Vermillion, Alberta.
- Develop a needs assessment for the organic sector and use it to develop a strategic framework for the learning program in the region.
- Based on identified needs, deliver programming that is targeted at 1) transitioning and new organic farmers, and 2) experienced organic growers.
- In partnership with Organic Alberta’s event coordinator, coordinate workshops and farm clubs.
- Manage a program budget.
- Provide agronomic knowledge to farmers through farm visits, phone calls, etc. May include some soil and plant testing.
- Communicate with Organic Alberta and Mackenzie Applied Research Association staff.
- Develop and adapt resources for the organic sector in the region.
- Attend community events to promote organics.
- Be a link between the Organic Alberta central office and the Mackenzie County region, and represent Organic Alberta in the region.
- Other activities as needed to support Organic Alberta staff and programs.
- Experience with grain production, experience in organic grain production a strong asset.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel as well as general computer skills.
- Dependable, self-starter who is comfortable working independently.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- An interest in organic food and agriculture is a must.
- Ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends
- Professional Agrologist Designation or eligibility
- Knowledge of organic certification and standards.
- CCA accreditation
Consultant Posting Details
The hours in this contract can vary depending on the requirements of the work, as well as the availability of the candidate. We are flexible and willing to work with the candidate’s schedule and needs. Rate of pay is dependant on experience. Please email your resume, cover letter, and credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled. Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
Apr 25 | News
The Canadian Organic Standards Have Been Amended
The Canadian General Standards Board has published the amended versions of the following standards:
CAN/CGSB-32.310-2015, amended March 2018, Org
Apr 18 | News
Revision of the Canadian Organic Standards – Launch of the Call for Petitions
The Organic Federation of Canada (OFC) Invites you to propose modifications to the Canadian Organic Standards (COS). Any grower, stakeholder or consum
Apr 10 | News
We’re Hiring an Organic Week Coordinator!
Organic Week Coordinator
Organic Alberta is looking for an outgoing, self-motivated, highly organized person to join our team as a summer student. Th