Position: Farm Manager, small grains and oilseed farm (4,600 acres)
Location: Near Kamsack, East Saskatchewan, Canada
Details: Full time, Permanent
Reports to: Organic Program Manager, Nature’s Path Foods Inc.
Legend Organic Farms Inc., was created by Nature’s Path Foods, (The world’s largest Certified Organic breakfast cereal brand and manufacturer) in order to be proactively involved with ensuring adequate land is transitioned to organic to meet increasing demand for organic finished products.
Nature’s Path sources much of its organic grains like oats, wheat, heritage grains, hemp, legumes and flax from the Canadian Prairie provinces. Legend Organic Farms Inc. manages ownership of land and oversight of the farming operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The organic Farm Manager will be the manager for the Kamsack farm, and will oversee and implement all farming operations from crop planning, fieldwork, and harvest. Familiarity and experience with all aspects of organic farming at this scale is a must.
- Having understanding and deep commitment to organic agronomic and regenerative principles:
o Maintain and build soil fertility.
o Control and manage weeds.
o Control and manage insect and disease issues.
- Supplement soil fertility and microbiology through appropriate amendments, crop rotations and green manures, in a cost effective way.
- Successfully attain maximum crop yields and improve crop quality over time.
- Mechanical ability and aptitude for equipment operation and maintenance.
- Implement advanced environmental protection including establishment of hedgerows, wildlife and pollinator habitat.
- Effective and fiscally responsible management of farm equipment, buildings and storage inventory.
- Facilitate sale and delivery of crops including arranging contracts, getting best price and moving crops to Nature’s Path Foods whenever directed.
- Manage staff/farm labour.
- Reporting to Legend Organic Farms and Nature’s Path head office.
Qualifications and Job Requirements
- Minimum 5-years experience farming organic small grains and oilseeds.
- Demonstrable commitment to ongoing learning and progressive practices in organic and regenerative farming.
- Experience and ability to obtain and retain organic certification, and crop insurance.
- Business management skills and experience, managing budgets, expenditures and income.
- Ability to produce clear and concise written reports on farm operations, harvest yields and sales. Comfortable working in Word and Excel.
- Proven ability to manage staff in an effective and motivating manner.
- Valid driver’s license.
Range from $93,600 – $110,000 based on experience and relevant education.
Also included are: a family house including utilities, wifi, house telephone, a pick up truck, plus $6,000 annually in lieu of a benefits package.
Bonus opportunities based on performance and crop yields.
Please email resume with references and relevant supporting documentation to:
Organic Program Manager
Nature’s Path Foods Inc.
No phone calls, please.
Position start date negotiable, but must be in place for 2018 growing season.
All applications must be received no later than August 12, 2017
Aug 29 | News
National Program Advisory Committee
In the spirit of the current government’s commitment to a more open and transparent way of working, a merit-based selection process for selecting ne
Aug 28 | News
Environmental On Farm Best Practices Events & Admin Coordinator
About Organic Alberta:
Organic Alberta represents and supports the entire organic industry. This means that we serve all certified organic and transi
Aug 22 | News
We Want Your Feedback!
At Organic Alberta we are always trying to improve the ways we help you to grow your business. We know you are extremely busy, but we’d really appre