Position: Farm Manager, small grains and oilseed farm (4,600 acres)
Location: Near Kamsack, East Saskatchewan, Canada
Details: Full time, Permanent
Reports to: Organic Program Manager, Nature’s Path Foods Inc.
Legend Organic Farms Inc., was created by Nature’s Path Foods, (The world’s largest Certified Organic breakfast cereal brand and manufacturer) in order to be proactively involved with ensuring adequate land is transitioned to organic to meet increasing demand for organic finished products.
Nature’s Path sources much of its organic grains like oats, wheat, heritage grains, hemp, legumes and flax from the Canadian Prairie provinces. Legend Organic Farms Inc. manages ownership of land and oversight of the farming operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The organic Farm Manager will be the manager for the Kamsack farm, and will oversee and implement all farming operations from crop planning, fieldwork, and harvest. Familiarity and experience with all aspects of organic farming at this scale is a must.
- Having understanding and deep commitment to organic agronomic and regenerative principles:
o Maintain and build soil fertility.
o Control and manage weeds.
o Control and manage insect and disease issues.
- Supplement soil fertility and microbiology through appropriate amendments, crop rotations and green manures, in a cost effective way.
- Successfully attain maximum crop yields and improve crop quality over time.
- Mechanical ability and aptitude for equipment operation and maintenance.
- Implement advanced environmental protection including establishment of hedgerows, wildlife and pollinator habitat.
- Effective and fiscally responsible management of farm equipment, buildings and storage inventory.
- Facilitate sale and delivery of crops including arranging contracts, getting best price and moving crops to Nature’s Path Foods whenever directed.
- Manage staff/farm labour.
- Reporting to Legend Organic Farms and Nature’s Path head office.
Qualifications and Job Requirements
- Minimum 5-years experience farming organic small grains and oilseeds.
- Demonstrable commitment to ongoing learning and progressive practices in organic and regenerative farming.
- Experience and ability to obtain and retain organic certification, and crop insurance.
- Business management skills and experience, managing budgets, expenditures and income.
- Ability to produce clear and concise written reports on farm operations, harvest yields and sales. Comfortable working in Word and Excel.
- Proven ability to manage staff in an effective and motivating manner.
- Valid driver’s license.
Range from $93,600 – $110,000 based on experience and relevant education.
Also included are: a family house including utilities, wifi, house telephone, a pick up truck, plus $6,000 annually in lieu of a benefits package.
Bonus opportunities based on performance and crop yields.
Please email resume with references and relevant supporting documentation to:
Organic Program Manager
Nature’s Path Foods Inc.
No phone calls, please.
Position start date negotiable, but must be in place for 2018 growing season.
All applications must be received no later than August 12, 2017
Oct 26 | News
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada is Hiring a Research Technician – Swift Current, SK
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Science and Technology Branch is hiring a Research Technician!
For further information on the organization, plea
Oct 13 | News
We’re Hiring an Organic Program Coordinator for Mackenzie County
Organic Alberta represents and supports the entire organic industry. This means that we serve all certified organic and transitioning entities (produc
Oct 3 | News
OFRF Now Accepting Research Proposals
OFRF is pleased to release their Request for Proposals (RFP) for 2018 research grants. Applicants residing in Canada, Mexico, and the United States ar